About the Data
athenaInsight is fueled by data from athenahealth’s national network of more than 100,000 providers who use the company’s services for EHR and revenue cycle management. Because those providers treat more than 55 million patients each year on a single network, we get unparalleled, near real-time insight into organizational performance and clinical trends.
athenahealth data scientists and outside academics analyze de-identified patient and provider data from across our network. Unlike other research outlets that rely on purely qualitative or self-reported data, we analyze real data from more than 100 million patient encounters each year. From the providers using our core services daily, we extract data on a wide range of transactions:
- From athenaClinicals, our EHR service: lab results, drug prescriptions, patient problem lists, notes from patient encounters, and other information captured during the patient visit.
- From athenaCollector, our revenue cycle management service: insurance type, financial obligation, visit types and procedures, diagnoses codes, scheduling information and more.
- From athenaCommunicator, our patient engagement service: patient portal sign-ins and interactions with providers, medical records, financial obligations, and prescription lists.
- From our network connections with more than 85,000 other facilities and partners and more than 10 billion electronic transactions per year, we can incorporate results from outside labs, prescription information from some pharmacies, and more.
Since the athenahealth network is cloud-based, we store the same types of data, measured the same way, for every client we serve. As a result, all research data is:
- Representative, reflecting a national base of patients and providers that cuts across geographic and demographic segments (see comparison chart above).
- Immediate, so we can analyze physician and patient interactions as they happen.
- Standardized, highlighting underlying patient and physician behaviors rather than measurement differences.
- Adaptive, with frequent updates that incorporate emerging care guidelines and public health risks.
Before we analyze any patient data, we strip it of any and all information that could be used (alone or in combination with other data) to identify unique individuals and in a HIPAA compliant manner. To ensure privacy of patient information, we only report on aggregate data, and only at a level of specificity far removed from the individual patient.